I met Yvonne Nicholson, the Zambian born UK based designer behind Evie Nix, at the African Market at Old Spitalfields in London. It’s her I have to thank for the fabulous kitenge/ankara/wax print corset that I walked away with that day.
Evie Nix offers unique African print corsets, jewellery and accessories, all handmade with love. I asked Yvonne a few questions about what drives and inspires her work.
What's your passion?
I've always had a passion for textiles, in particular African-inspired wax prints. I just love the vibrancy and boldness of the prints. I also take inspiration from the Hollywood screen sirens and the theatrical nature of Victorian fashion.
What inspired you to become a fashion designer?
As far as I can remember it’s always felt natural for me to express myself visually. I've always enjoyed taking on crafty projects, making clothes for my Sindy dolls (when I was a young girl), collecting bits of fabric, wallpapers – you name it, just for the sheer joy.
How does Africa inspire you?
I'm inspired by the rich diverse culture of the African continent on the whole, be it the people, food, music, its landscape, the smells …! There is so much to explore and discover.
Anything we should look out for in the coming weeks/months/year?
In the months ahead you can expect more quirky, fun, colourful creations from me. I'll be exploring new shapes and forms with added texture. I'm also planning on launching an exciting line of fun clutch bags for 2015.
Yvonne kindly offered to treat one of you wonderful readers with this vibrant earring and cuff bracelet set.
- This contest is open to US and UK residents only
- Giveaway ends at 23:59 GMT on Tuesday, 8th July 2014
- The winner will be contacted via email and will have 7 days to respond with address details. If there is no response within 7 days, a new winner will be drawn.
How to enter:
- Fill in this short form (entrants will be automatically added to the Afri-love mailing list)
For extra entries (optional):
- Tweet about this giveaway: ‘Win a set of handmade African print jewellery from @evienixfashions in this @afrilove giveaway: http://bit.ly/giveevienix'
- Repost the giveaway on Instagram (find the image on my feed @lulukitololo), making sure to tag @evienix1
- Like the giveaway post on the Afri-love Facebook page
Photos by Lulu Kitololo with the exception of the portrait, courtesy of Yvonne.