When I embarked on journey of self-employment, almost 5 years ago, I went on a mission to educate myself about success. I got caught up in all the fantastic things I was learning about business, finance, personal effectiveness and ultimately, about myself. So much so that, I can probably count on my 2 hands, the number of fiction books that I've read during this period.
Over the past few months, as I establish my second business, I find myself ramping things up and making this reading part of my daily routine – at least 30-45 mins every day. The difference I'm experiencing in my mindset, my behaviour and my results is not a coincidence. When wiser, more seasoned and more successful people talk about swapping some TV time for reading – they're not trying to rob you of joy! They know how they got where they are. So I'm going to retrace their steps (these days I catch up on TV on Sundays when I'm doing my hair … but, that's a whole other post).
Below is a working list of books that I've found very useful, as a (creative) entrepreneur. We can have both (creative satisfaction and wealth). Here's to no more starving artists!
- 7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness: Power Ideas from America's Foremost Business Philosopher by Jim Rohn
- A Way of Being Free by Ben Okri
- Five Major Pieces to the Life Puzzle by Jim Rohn
- Goals!: How to Get Everything You Want – Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible by Brian Tracy
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Talent is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoffrey Colvin
- The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
- The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success and Happiness by Jeff Olson and John David Mann
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach their Kids about Money that the Poor and Middle Class do Not by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth by T. Harv Eker
- The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be by Jack Canfield
What books do you recommend? What are you reading right now? Share in the comments section below.
- 7 Common Excuses that Prevent Our Success (Demolished with the Help of Jim Rohn)
- 6 Pieces of Advice for Starting a Business in the Afri-Sphere
- My African Non-Fiction Reading List
- My African Fiction Reading List
- Great Girls in African Literature that your Daughter Should Know
Don't miss an installment – different ways to get your Afri-love delivered. You can also stay up to date by liking the Afri-love Facebook page or following Afri-love (@afrilove) on Twitter or on Google+.
Check out my many Africa-related Pinterest boards covering the arts, design, music and more.
Subscribe for monthly updates with Afri-love highlights and developments, as well as info on interesting events, must-reads and more for you to check out elsewhere.